Thursday, February 16, 2017

Obamacare, Political Minefield

    

Full disclosure, I despise "Obamacare."  I want it gone. It has been absolutely horrible for me and for my family. In the past week alone, I had two new prescriptions, not to replace medicines I am already on, but add to what I am already on. One was over $300.00, one was $178.00 per month. Needless to say I didn't get either filled. Between Jean and I our pharmacy costs are already outrageous without adding an additional $480.00 per month.

In addition Jean had a procedure done last week that before Obamacare was a $45.00 copay, now $250.00. My 84 year old Dad is on 3 different monthly prescriptions that run from $175.00 to $251.00 each per month plus his other prescriptions. He and Mom have to decide every month which Dr. they can visit and which medicine can they purchase.

I wrote all that simply too show I despise Obamacare as much as many of you who will be upset with me for what I am about to write.

Conservatives and Republicans must be very careful with repealing Obamacare. As much as I despise it and want it gone we need to remember there is a lot of political risk in moving too quickly. As much as I personally would prefer a quick and complete repeal, that may be political suicide.

In my opinion, it would be much better to do it in pieces. As they repeal a section replace that section. Take the most unpopular, unfair parts first. There are so many things that could be done immediately without a total and immediate repeal, that could lower costs and increase coverage. Start with those.

Anytime the Government makes a wholesale change like when the ACA was passed, there are winners and losers. If the Republicans repeal and replace all at once, those who are the losers in the process will take it out them in 2018. Just as we did on the Democrats because of Obamacare. Take it slow and cautiously. Do it in stages. See what the unintentional consequences are before moving on.

Otherwise risk losing the Senate and possibly the House.  

No comments:

Post a Comment