Saturday, April 1, 2017

A Victim of the War on Opioids

    



I am a victim of the war on opioid addiction. Among other health issues, I live with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. On the McGill Pain Index it is rated as the number one most painful of all chronic pain diseases. For 17 of the past 20 years I have been going to pain management clinics.

During those 17 years I have had a minimum of 6 random drug screens a year. Most years more than 6, never less than 6. I have never failed a drug test. Never. Every since Obamacare started I have dealt with a steady decrease in the amount and or type of pain medication I am allowed. All while the cost has gone up.

When I was first diagnosed I was fussed at by my Dr. for not using all the opioids I was prescribed and told the stress of living with such pain would eventually wear my heart out. I was also told I would get  to the point it wouldn't be worth getting out of bed to do things. It just wouldn't be worth the suffering I would go through the next few days after having a fairly active day. One of my Drs. even told me I was the strongest man he had ever met, but I would get to that point.

Since 2010, my pain medicine has been reduced from 3- 80 mg OxyContin's, 4- 2mg Diluaded's, and 4 -10 mg Valiums a day to now 3 Percocet's a day and 3 - Baclofins The pain hasn't changed. The disease hasn't changed. My cost has changed. It has gone up! My quality of life has changed. It has gone down. Way down. I had to cancel my birthday party with just family this year because I absolutely couldn't get out of bed to be with my small family.

My heart is showing the effects of living with the stress. I have more days I have to just lay around than I ever have. I am not saying this to get sympathy from anyone, just to show there are unintended consequences from this war on opioid addiction.

This "war" will drive more people who have true needs to seek alternative sources for pain control which will turn them into criminals. It will also expose them to drugs with no quality control which will lead to more overdoses. Their only other option will be to do as I do and spend more and more time suffering alone in their bedrooms. Putting those who love them through sheer hell on earth as they watch them just waste away.

I used to work narcotics as a Police Officer. I have seen what narcotic abuse causes. The lives ruined. I have seen the damage done from Narcotics abuse in people I truly care for. A friend of mine who was living in severe pain from a back injury died with a heroin needle in his arm 34 years ago. He wasn't chasing a high, he was chasing pain relief. I understand the need to do something. Something has to be done. There has to be a way to do something about addiction without making those of us who have a true, legitimate medical need pay the price, physically, medically, financially, and emotionally.

I am not smart enough to know what the answer is, however I know the answer is not to cut my life short because of the stress put on my heart from living with such intense pain. The answer is not to sentence me to a life of misery waiting around for my heart to wear out because of the pain and lack of activity.

When President Obama got Obamacare passed, and people begin to see a lot of Americans were being hurt by Obamacare I watched as he said in an interview, "anytime we have sweeping changes like this there will be winners and losers. Some will be hurt by Obamacare, they just have to understand its for the greater good." I and my family were hurt by Obamacare. Bad. Now I hear the same thing about the war on Opioid Addiction.

My challenge to President Trump and Governor Christie, find an answer that helps addicts, their families and friends that doesn't hurt those of us who have legitimate needs.

1 comment:

  1. THERE IS AN ANSWER FOR ADDICTION A NATURAL PLANT FROM A TREE IN AFRICA CALLED THE IBOGHA - IBOGAINE IS AN ALKALOID OF THE PLANRT AND IT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO CURE MOST ADDICTIONS IN JUST 1 OR 2 TREATMENTS AND AMAZINGLY AFTER JUST 1 TREATMENT PEOPLE ADDICTED TO HEROIN OR OXYCONTIN FOR YEARS DO NOT HAVE WITHDRAW ANYMORE - AGAIN AFTER 1 TREATMENT - THE CATCH - THE US GOVT HAS IBOGAINE REGISTERED AS A SCHEDULE 1 DRUG - MEANING IT IS DEEMED TO HAVE NO MEDICAL VALUE AND CANNOT BE RESEARCHED TO SEE IF IT SOES - THE IBOGAINE CLINICS ARE ALL OVER THE WORLD INCLUDING MEXICO AND CANADA - THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE - OUR LEADERS ARE JUST NOT TELLING YOU - RESEARCH AND GET THE WORD OUT - IBOGAINE TREE BARD FROM THE IBOGA PLANT IN AFRICA...NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete